Re: [Hampshire] Linux Genuine Advantage

Author: Will Davies
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux Genuine Advantage

Cayenne-uk wrote:
> The first time I saw this I had a wry smile to myself. This time
> though, I feel a little disturbed. Not so much at the humour which is
> subtle and is understood by those in the know. But rather by the
> impression it would give to the uninitiated who take it seriously.
>
> It could easily give the impression that there is indeed nasty
> software lurking in the bowels of Linux, even if the casual visitor
> realised that it is a "joke" page. And could put off potential new
> Linux users.

I posted this on a forum and someone confessed to having installed it
(not from my link). Fair play to him for owning up even though he'd
already fixed it, but really, RTFM.
The Wild Wild West is a scary place and you should take everything you
read with a pinch of salt (and read it properly to start with). If the
way you learn this lesson only costs you being locked out of your
computer until someone more clued up can fix it, then the lesson is
actually quite cheap. I contend that the site is performing a valuable
public service.

Will Davies
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~wmd04r