Re: [Hampshire] Accessing a scanner via the LAN

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Accessing a scanner via the LAN

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58123100.hantslug.org.uk.3233': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Feb 4 14:05:04 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
Mike Burrows wrote:
> Hello Folks.
>
> I have an Epson scanner (not supported by Doze XP) working in blissful
> harmony with my Sarge box using SANE and XSANE. Samba talks to the
> other doze clients on my home lan and provides file and print server
> services. Is it possible for a doze client to access and use the
> scanner though?

Not via Samba. Your best bet would be to use X forwarding and something
like the XLiveCD on Windows to control the scanner from a Windows box
and then save the output files into a Samba-exported directory.

HTH,

Tony