Re: [Hampshire] Using NFS root with raspberry pi.

Author: James Dutton via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: James Dutton
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Using NFS root with raspberry pi.
On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 at 13:04, Tom Gamble via Hampshire
<hampshire@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my Raspberry Pis I’ve had a few issues with SD Cards failing so thought there would be some mileage in using an NFS root. So if an SD card fails I can just pop a new card in and my root fs will still be good.

Hi,

I have not tried your approach before. I have only done something
called netboot.
This is where you boot without an SD card at all.
There are some hints on how to do it here:
https://raspberrytips.com/network-boot-with-raspberry-pi/
Now, I have not actually done it with a Raspberry PI, only with Linux
servers and embedded systems, but the principles are the same.
You set up a DHCP server, with parameters that tell it where to find
the linux kernel and initrd files etc. it then tftp gets them or http
gets them.
An interesting aspect of this, is that booting over a 1Gbps network is
actually quicker than booting from an SD card.
Also if the device crashes, as the files are not stored on the crashed
device, the files do not become corrupted at all, so it's really
helpful when doing kernel development on an embedded system. It not
only reboots quicker, but no files are corrupted, and you get to see
the last logs before it crashed.