Meetings at Southampton University are held in Seminar Room 1. We sometimes have access to the adjacent SeminarRoom2, if it is available (not for April and May 2011).
Date and Time
Usually, unless otherwise stated, meetings are held bi-monthly on a Saturday between 10:00am and 4:30pm. The confirmed date will be posted to the HomePage and MailingList at least a week before the meeting.
- Seminar Room 1 is in the ECS building (Building 59) at Southampton University's Highfield (main) campus.
Building 59 is on the north edge of the Highfield campus and is marked as the Zepler building.
- You enter the building via the B59-B53 atrium.
- All non-ECS staff will need to check-in with security when you arrive and leave.
Buses to use are the U1 from Southampton Parkway station or Southampton Central station, or the U2 from outside the Civic Centre (a short walk from Southampton Central station).
- Car parking is available for free at the weekends in the adjacent car parks.
- The postcode for those who use them for navigation is: SO17 1BJ
Building 59 is marked as Zepler Building on this map.
Since January 2009 unless your name (HLUG members and non-members) is on a list with the security guard on the front door you may not be allowed in. Without your name in advance security will check your details. So to avoid a delayed entry or disappointment it is highly recommended you E-mail your name to our host the day before the meeting so he can add you to the list of attendees. In practice we have only seen the guard once or twice but it is still probably best to make sure our host has a list of everyone who may attend.
Wireless Networking: Please email your details with your wireless MAC address before BEFORE the meeting. Do you need help FindingYourMACAddress?
- Wired networking will not be available at the moment
- No bittorrent of any kind (even if it's legal ISOs.....). If you have a torrent client that runs at start up, please turn it off before you arrive at the meeting. Our host will be keeping an eye on this over the day....
- Please be sensible - we all know what sensible means. We don't want to get into any trouble over anything, so if it's somewhat dubious, please don't do it, at least not without asking our host first.
- Please remember we are guests of the University and we must leave the facilities in a clean and safe condition and we must not abuse their network.
We are reliant on a qualifying LUG member to book SeminarRoom1 for our meetings. Since regular meetings started in 2003, this has been HugoMills, DamianBrasher, Ashwin, Robin, Chris and Richard who is our current host.
You can see photos from our meetings in Seminar Room 1 in our gallery. Seminar Room 1 (sometimes) looks like this: